Why Was Osama bin Laden Buried at Sea?
After U.S. forces killed Osama bin Laden during a raid, the body was treated in "accordance with Islamic practice," U.S. officials told the media early this morning.
That practice calls for the body to be buried within 24 hours and forbids cremation, the official said. When it became clear that it would be difficult to get any country to accept the remains of the world's most wanted terrorist , the U.S. decided to bury bin Laden at sea, the official said. The location where that occurred was not immediately released.
Another reason, which U.S. security officials confirmed with the media later on Monday, is that the U.S. didn't want to risk bin Laden's burial place becoming a shrine that could inspire other terrorists.
- Why Wall Street Barely Reacted to Osama bin Laden's Death
- What Was the Deadliest Day in American History?
- Why Are Terrorists' Claims of Responsibility So Hard to Verify?
Life's Little Mysteries: Gift Edition Hardcover Book
Uncover the truth behind more than 100 mysteries that surround us every day with our new hardcover book! Perfect for gifts and classrooms, and suitable for all ages. Some of the included mysteries are:
- Why Do Cats Land on Their Feet?
- How Long Does it Take to Make Petrified Wood?
- What Everyday Things Around Us Are Radioactive?
Find out all of this and much, much more in our NEW hardcover book.
It makes a great gift idea for all ages. more info>>